HR Fundamentals Toolkit for New and/or Small Businesses
Jouta is excited to introduce a 9-part video series, addressing the fundamentals of HR that all businesses should consider, particularly when growing and bringing on employees. Developed for the City of Penticton, but relevant to all new and/or small businesses, this toolkit covers everything from hiring and onboarding through to managing performance and attendance. Presented with the format of a comprehensive (and recommended) employee file in mind, the series will also cover the important employment/HR documentation necessary to maintain the employment relationship.
While we recommend watching the following individual videos in order (at least the first time around), you can certainly watch them separately, if relevant to something you want to address immediately.
- Introduction to the HR Fundamentals Toolkit
- HR 101: What HR is (Jouta style) and the 17 Key Result Areas of HR
- Recruitment & Orientation: Planning for and hiring in line with your culture and values, as well as setting new employees up for success with the tools and training they need to be productive right away
- Coaching & Mentoring: Overview of these important management roles, how they differ, why they’re important, as well as the basic principles of each
- Personal Information: What it is, what you should/should not be keeping on file (and how), employee rights, as well as what to ask/not to ask on application materials
- Agreements & Compensation: Fundamentals of employment agreements and how to decide what to pay
- Performance Management: What and how to keep information related to performance (be it positive, annual reviews, or performance improvement plans) and why it’s important
- Attendance: How to decide on leave policies (e.g. vacation/sick), based on what makes sense for your business, and options on how to track them
- Education & Other Benefits: How to keep information related to additional requirements (e.g. driver’s license), professional development, as well as benefits information (including sensitive information)
As you may know, Penticton is a beautiful and diverse place to visit. It’s also a growing community with a thriving economy with many developing businesses. Did you also know that Jouta has an office in Penticton, in addition to Vancouver? We do, of course, also serve businesses across BC and beyond!